Monday, November 22, 2010

Sailing, sailing over the bounding main!

First of all, I had no idea that those were the actual words to that song...I'm not sure what I thought the words were, but it wasn't that.  Secondly, thanks for all the internet hugs this past week! It really meant a lot to me and I'm internet hugging you all back!
So this week was better than last in terms of emotions, school-work however...yucky.  I have an exam later tonight in literature.  Who takes a literature exam?! I know I haven't taken one since sophomore year of high school and those were kind of a joke (sorry if any of my high school teachers read this...).  This presented quite an issue in terms of studying, which I'm still not sure I did right, but with 2 hours until the exam  I guess I probably shouldn't think about that.  I also have a voluntary paper due before Christmas break (which I'm doing so that I have more to grade than just my final exam in June).  So I've been a hermit this week, reading and studying and writing...basically just being a lit major. The one thing that I did do, which is also super exciting is I got adopted! Not literally...sorry Daddy you do still have to pay my tuition, but adopted nonetheless.  I answered an email from the father of the family, Javier, who works at the school and wanted an American student to come help his girls (Elena 9, Piti 8, Carla 6) with their English (they go to a bilingual elementary school).  I went over there on Friday (the 19th) and hung out with the girls, and stayed for dinner.  Their Mom, Piti, is a fantastic cook and said she would teach me how to make Spanish food and I'm going to teach her how to make American food.  Her dad is also from Andalucia so she knows how to dance Sevillano (which is like Flamenco but softer) and she said she would teach me that too!  Then they invited me to go sailing with them on Saturday.  We went to their house in Santiago de la Ribera and had the most amazing churros ever! Then we went sailing.
Me with the girls and their dad...apparently I suck at driving a boat


Me with the girls...it was quite cold and windy actually


Me with the girls and their Mom.
We had a lot of fun.  After sailing we went for a walk up the beach and then we went out for lunch.  We ate, in true Spanish fashion, a HUGE lunch.  We had fried calamari, bocarrones (which are a small white-fish that were pretty good...although that might be because they were fried), octopus, paella, cheesecake, tinto de verano, coffee, and a digestive shot.  Throughout the whole day we alternated speaking English and Spanish so everyone got to practice.  It was soo much fun! I can't wait to spend more time with them.

¡Hasta la semana que viene!
xoxo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment