Monday, November 29, 2010

Gobble, Gobble...Is that what turkey's say in Spain?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Yes, I know that I am not in the USA, however I did remember that it was Thanksgiving and I did celebrate with all my American friends (plus a bunch of Italians, 2 Poles, 1 guy from England, 1 French girl, and 1 Murcian).  It was a lot of fun.  We did it potluck style and somehow one of my friends did manage to find a turkey.  My contribution was a caramel apple pie.  The recipe is actually really easy! Combine 1/2 a cup brown sugar, 1/2 a cup white sugar, 6 tbsp unsalted butter, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup of water, and a pinch of salt in a pot until boiling.  Then you turn it off at let cool for a few minutes.  Then you pour it over the pie, making sure the lattice is completely covered.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes and then 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until the pie is done.  I kept the skins on the apples too, making it even easier!  Besides apple pie and turkey we also had other kinds of pie, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, veggies, stuffing, and the English guy brought Yorkshire pudding.  It was a great night!
Unfortunately the weekend festivities ended there because it rained all day Friday and Saturday and I had no desire to get all dressed up just to be wet and cold.  So I stayed in and watched movies.


On Sunday it was finally a really pretty day so Cristina, Caleb and I met up with some of their friends (1 from Italy and 2 from Spain) to go to the Santuario de la Fuensanta (where they keep the patron saint of the city when she's not down here in September for la Feria).   We wandered around the Santuario and then we went hiking, also known as trail blazing because there weren't actually any hiking trails.  It was a lot of fun and it was nice to be outside the city and playing in the sun (especially since its been raining all day today too...not cool.  I distinctly remember being told that it doesn't rain very much in Murica)



Caleb, me, Pablo, Giulia (in back) and Rsoa and Cristina (in front)

I promise this was a cameo....
And that was basically my weekend.  Also, you could see the cathedral from the Santuario and so because my camera can do this...
And in case you can't get enough of my witty blog banter I was published on a travel blog for women so feel free to read that too! Spanish Men Shout Machismo 

¡Hasta la semana que viene! (but not until Wednesday because I will be traveling next Monday...no you don't get to know where to, that would ruin next week's blog entry)
xoxo
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment