Monday, March 14, 2011

Oh what a night(s)!

So this weekend I went to Cadiz with the Instituto Hispánico Murciano (IHM) for Carnaval and it was a shit-show to say the least.  Basically we got in the bus at 3 pm on Friday and we had our first drink on the bus at about 8 pm.  And from there it just got even more interesting.  The next day we got up for breakfast and we all got dressed up in our costumes and went into the city.  Carnaval is basically Mardi Gras, except the Spanish version.  The problem with this is actually that Ash Wednesday was last week...so we were celebrating just to celebrate.  We got to the city centre at about 3 pm and went out to lunch.  We had a few hours to walk around the city and see things.  We didn't really get to see as much of the city as I would have liked.  We were supposed to meet up with international students from Almería, Seville, and Valencia.  We never did meet them, but instead we went into the city centre and started partying.  I dressed up as a flamenco dancer, mostly because I already had the skirt and such things.  I met up with a friend of mine from Scripps who was studying in Seville.  We hung out for a little bit and then I spent the rest of the night with some girlfriends from Murcia and a group of guys, Caleb (my roommate from last semester) and some of his other teacher friends.  
Me, Caleb, and Becky
Me and Maggie
The street
We finally came back to the hotel at about 4 am and we all just crashed.  We woke up for breakfast and then all went back to the rooms thinking that we would be able to hang out there until we needed to leave at 3...of course in all reality we had to check out by noon and no one told us so we all got a nice little wake-up call at 12:30 telling us to leave.  We hung out until 2, we walked along the beach but it was kind of a gross one and it was a cloudy and rainy day so we mostly just sat in the lobby.  What followed was a 9-hour bus ride from hell.  All of us were hung over and I get car sick anyway.  Luckily, one of my friends had thought to bring some dramamine so a disaster was effectively avoided.  
Getting up for class, at 8 am, this morning was beyond horrible.  I don't think this is something I will do again, but it was a lot of fun once in my life!

In other news, I was hired as a Lead Mentor for next fall at Pitzer and my next article was published on Pink Pangea

¡Hasta la semana que viene!
xo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment